Just in case you’re not convinced to #ShopSmall this holiday, here are ten compelling reasons why we think you should:
1) Small businesses provide 55% of all jobs and 66% of all net new jobs since the 1970s.
2) More of your spending dollar stays in the local economy. When you shop local, you impact the community in which you live. A recent study showed that roughly 68 percent of revenue from small, local businesses is reinvested into a community; so for every $100 spent at your neighborhood restaurant or boutique, $68 returns to our community.
3) 77% of shoppers who are aware of Small Business Saturday plan to shop next weekend. Why not visit a small business? You’re already out.
4) The average cost of stocking a 500 foot, mid-sized retail store costs about $20,000, so the day-to-day costs to keep the items you care about is tremendous above and beyond startup costs. Want your local gift shop to keep stocking your favorite items? Support them this weekend to encourage them to do so.
5) Small businesses are exceptional places to work, and often pave the way with trends adopted at larger institutions, as well.
6) Small businesses bring people to our communities. Many are unique with one-of-a-kind finds inside where people will drive miles to see what’s inside.
7) Shopping small means you are supporting those businesses that are supporting you and your community. These businesses support our schools, our non-profits, our cities down to the little league teams. Small business owners are the lifeblood of this community, this state and this country.
8) You can find unique, hand-made items with outstanding craftsmanship.
9) You can talk directly to the business owner who is an expert in their field and craft.
10) On the first Small Business Saturday, revenues for Small Businesses surged 28%, so what may seem like a small expense to you has a huge impact on a business owner.
The Crowley Chamber of Commerce recognizes the importance of supporting small businesses to create wealth and opportunity in our communities. Let’s all do our part to support Acadia Parish’s small businesses as they continue to strengthen our economy and create jobs. Be part of the Small Business movement and choose to Shop Local.