SLEMCO was founded by a small group who banded together early in 1936 to electrify rural Acadiana. They included M.W. “Mike” Scanlan of Acadia Parish, who served as the president of its board of directors from its founding in 1937 until 1960. Retired Acadia Parish county agent Claude Brewer is also one of the four men usually credited for establishing the cooperative. Among the eight founding board members for the cooperative was another Acadia Parish resident named Mr. James. P. Gray.
This past June 11th, SLEMCO celebrated 82 years since receiving its charter from the State of Louisiana. And it was 9 a.m. on Friday, May 20, 1938, that SLEMCO turned a switch to energize its first 120 miles of electric lines to begin serving 256 member-owners in Lafayette, Acadia, St. Landry and St. Martin Parishes.
SLEMCO delivers low-cost, reliable electric service to more than 109,000 commercial, industrial and residential electric consumers throughout South Louisiana. SLEMCO’s in-house and fully-licensed engineers can provide customized services to meet the needs of any type or size electric load – from residential to large-scale industrial facilities. In Acadia Parish, SLEMCO provides service to 15,922 residential and commercial electric consumers.
In addition to its Crowley Service Center at 22050 Crowley Eunice Hwy, SLEMCO has offices in Kaplan, Lafayette and Washington, Louisiana. SLEMCO’s customer base covers most of the Acadiana region with electric lines as far north as Avoyelles Parish all the way south to the Gulf of Mexico. SLEMCO lines also reach westward to the Acadia-Jeff Davis Parish line and eastward into the Atchafalaya Basin.
SLEMCO strongly believes in supporting the business community through its investments and involvement in area Chambers of Commerce. At the Acadia Parish Chamber, SLEMCO routinely sponsors all annual Chamber events such as the Annual Banquet, the Gumbo Cook-Off, the Golf Classic and the Farmer’s Appreciation Dinner. You will also find SLEMCO representatives in attendance at these functions, as well as at the chamber-hosted State of the Community Addresses and Legislative Updates.
In Acadia Parish alone, SLEMCO employs 40 parish residents who contribute directly to the local economy. These 40 employees have a cumulative 464 years of service with SLEMCO! SLEMCO employees are known for their volunteerism in the community, such as coaching for local sports organizations and assisting at area schools.
Other involvements/contributions are (but not limited to):
- Since 1992, SLEMCO has paid $182,000 in college scholarships to Acadia Parish students for continued education.
- Since 1995, SLEMCO has paid out $600,338 in aid to the needy in Acadia Parish through its Operation Round-Up Program. That is more than a half-million dollars provided for assistance with purchasing things like handicap modifications, hearing aids, prescription medications, clothing, shelter, etc.
- Annual sponsor of Greetings from Levy Park in Crowley.
- Annual sponsor of the Rayne Frog Festival in Rayne.
- A financial contributor to the Cultural and Art Economic Master Plan for Acadia Parish.
- Member of the parish economic development organization, One Acadia.
- Contributed financially to have two Crowley area properties designated as site certified and ready for commercial/industrial development.